Friday, March 24, 2006

Earl Scruggs Review

I have blogged about the 1970's albums by the Earl Scruggs Review a few times, though I guess I'll have probably deleted some of it somewhere down the line.

I bought the 1st album. The reviews of the album had been pretty bad but when I saw the album and read the sleeve notes I felt really interested. And bought it. Played it and really loved it. It's country, though not as conventional as the 2nd album. I never heard the 2nd album at the time, infact it was a mystery to me until a few days ago. I did know that it got better reviews than the 1st one though. But, for some reason I never got round to listening to it. As it turns out I much prefer the album I had, though there are sure some nice songs on the 2nd one too.

When LPs turned into cds I hoped that the album I had would be released as a cd. Eventually just so that I could hear the music again. It didn't happen though. When I started blogging I'd talk at length about this every so often because there still wasn't a cd of the music out. Could hear some of it on a compilation album but that was it.

Anyway, last Saturday, I went into the local FOPP and while browsing through the cds saw there was one in the Earl Scruggs section, picked it out, and it was the two albums I'd wanted on one cd. It's been released by a small UK firm in Cambridge.

Link to their page. People like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez are on the albums.

http://www.gottdiscs.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=57&osCsid=67bdabdb5ba4a54fa5103e60d9b57d9d